ARTICLE ARCHIVE (
2010 Special Features
- iPlayOutside Photo makes the Wall Street Journal -Septmeber 22, 2010
Article 15 Miles Is the Loneliest Race by Anjali Athavaley, iPlay photo of the Charleston Distance Run is by Daniel Todd.
- Massanutten's Summer of Championship Mountain Biking -May 3, 2010
Two races, one resort, and one heck of a summer
- New running club aims high in 2010 -January 22, 2010
Mountain Maryland Marathon Club served more than 789 runners in 2009
- Snowshoe Resort ... Off the Beaten Path -January 10, 2010
An epic snow story by Julie Black with photos by Brandon Watson, and Snowshoe
2009 Special Features
- Documentary: "The Runner" with Ultra Trail legend Marco Olmo -August 31, 2009 - True story of a worker who became the Ultra Trail World Champion at 60 years old
- Trans-Sylvania Mountain Bike Epic Brings Week Long Off-Road Stage Racing to Central Pennsylvania, May 2010 -August 31, 2009
New event will include four stages
- Outer Banks Diving, Discovery Awaits -July 21, 2009
Maria af Rolen heads out on an underwater adventure
- New Running Store Set to Open August 8 -June 19, 2009
Owners Kevin and Erin Roush inform us that Morgantown Running is hiring
- Clarksburg Hosts 13th Annual 10K Run -May 12, 2009
Cecil Jarvis Greater Clarksburg 10K Press Release - $10,000 in prize money
- WVMBA News Letter: MAY -May 8, 2009
A Series Update for 2009
- ACE Adventure Center Updates -Apr 30, 2009
Giving away $30,000 of rafting plus sweet seasonal offers
- ACE Adventure Center Updates -Mar 24, 2009
We're giving YOU our birthday presents
- News: Babcock Half-marathon Trail Run and Fun Walk! -Feb 27, 2009
Trail System of the Year, stickers and more.
- 2009 Trail Runner Trophy Series -Feb 27, 2009
Sixth Annual Trail Runner Trophy Series Begins March 1, 2009, Trail Races in California, Indiana, Texas and Maryland kick off popular race series
- WVMBA News Letter: JAN -Jan 29, 2009
A Series Update for 2009
- ACE Adventure Center Updates -Jan 12, 2009
Get Online to Get Outdoors, The Cure for Cabin Fever
2008 Special Features
- WIFFLE Ball Goes Big League -Sept 30, 2008
Big League WIFFLE Ball brings the sport to the masses, and then some.
- 24 Hour World Champ Urges Industry to Back Women's Racing -Sept 29, 2008
Jari Kirkland, the adventure racer turned 24-hour mountain bike star, has joined with Laird Knight of Granny Gear Productions in calling for sponsors to encourage more women into high-level racing.
- Fall in Pocahontas is . . .Splash - Dash - and Panache -Sept 2, 2008
Even with drought conditions, the fall leaf color in Pocahontas County, West Virginia remains some of the most spectacular in the eastern region.
- WVMBA News Letter: AUG/SEPT -Sept 2 2008
- Maximizing Training Time -July 14 2008
Rob Acciavatti, MPT, CSCS, of Dynamic Physical Therapy writes, -Runners, cyclists, and triathletes often ask me, "How can I maximize my training time?" One of my favorite answers focuses on training at a heart rate intensity equal to the maximal lactate steady state (MLSS).
- WVMBA News Letter: JUNE -June 27 2008
- iPlayOutside.com/WVMBA Dream Teams -May 30 2008
At this year's 24 hours of Big Bear, iPlayOutside.com and the West Virginia Mountain Bike Association have teamed up to put some of the best riders in WV on the course.
- WVMBA News Letter: APRIL -April 30 2008
- NOVA Presents Marathon Challenge -April 10 2008
Just in time for the Boston Marathon, NOVA presented a rebroadcast of Marathon Challenge, their look at what it took to get a dozen novice marathoners to the (cold, muddy) starting line of the 2007 race.
- iPlayOutside is 10 years old -April 1 2008
Ten Years, Ten Crashes, we celebrate with photos . . .
- WVMBA News Letter: MARCH -March 6 2008
A Series Update from WVMBA's Executive Director, J.R. Petsko
- The UniGeezer ~ Who is this guy? -Feb 6 2008
An interview with Terry Peterson - a 52 year old extreme mountain unicyclist.
2007 Special Features
- New Trails and Village at Snowshoe -Dec 20 2007
Sawmill is one of three new trails in the South Mountain area of Snowshoe Resort.
- MAGP Updates -Dec 6 2007
Young champions, a dual series, and a new year make for some change in the ranks.
- Annual After Thanksgiving Feast -Nov 29 2007
Riding Off the Fat . . .
- Developing The Perfect Race Warm-up -Nov 11 2007
Coach Danny Fink of Smarter Endurance Training offers advice.
- The Bicycle Book: Wit, Wisdom & Wanderings Review -Nov 2 2007
This enjoyable read is a celebration of the bicycle by people who love to ride.
- Brian Boyle -Oct 25 2007
This "Ironman" is lucky to be alive. Boyle shares his story of pain and triumph.
- Racer's Report: WVMBA Ultra Series Championship -Oct 5 2007
Pro-rider, Gunnar Shogren of Team Sobe-Cannondale writes, "Pedal, Catch, Pedal, Catch"
- Exceptional Athlete: Matt Novacich -Oct 1 2007
Despite Novacich's special physical condition, he continues to prove that he needs no special treatment on the course.
- NOVA Presents Marathon Challenge -Oct 1 2007
Thriteen out-of-shape people train with help to attempt a 26.2-mile race. Follow their physical and mental progression in this moving documentary.
- "The longer I run, the smaller my problems become." -Sept 20 2007
These 3rd Infantry Division wives run in honor of their deployed husbands.
- Racer's Report: Wilderness 101 MTB Race -Aug 16 2007
From start to finish with Pro-rider Jeremiah Bishop of Team Trek/Volkswagen.
- Race Preparation: The Hit List -Aug 16 2007
Coach Danny Fink of Smarter Endurance Training offers advice for race day.
- Bishop Wins National Event -Aug 1 2007
Pro-rider Jeremiah Bishop of Team Trek/Volkswagen contributes his prize to World Bicycle Relief.
- Surgery for Pro Rider from Davis, WV -July 31 2007
Kelly Benefit Strategies/Medifast's Nick Waite expected to stay off-road for the season.
WVOutside / iPlayOutside Archives ... 1997 - 2000
The Early Years
|100-Mile C&O Canal Fun Run Crew|
We'd like to give a shout-out to the "old school" extended family. This section is dedicated to them, the original iPlayOutsiders.
Annual 100-Mile Fun Run
1999- 3rd WVOutside 100-Mile C&O Canal Fun Run, Shepherdstown, WV - Gene and Lisa Vance, Brad Coffman, Don Parks, Glenn Parks, Chas Mick, Karen Jones
1997- 1st 100-Mile C&O Canal Fun Run, Shepherdstown, WV - Eric Deboni, Brad Coffman, Don Parks, Glenn Parks, Chas Mick
Annual Winter Hike
2003- Winter Hike on the Appalachian Trail Photo Essay - Chas Mick, Emory Rogers, Don Parks, Eric Wick, Greg McCulley
|Winter Hike, Spruce Knob, WV|
2000- December A Worm in Burkittsville? Burkittsvile, MD - Greg McCulley, Marty Lamp, Dennis Vass,
1999- December 26-29 Annual Winter Hike, Spruce Knob NRA, WV - Brad Yurish, Greg McCulley, Marty Lamp, Dennis Vass, Don Parks, Emory Rogers, Mike Hansrote
1997- December 1st Winter Hike: I Dream of A White Devil, Monongahela National Forest's Cranberry Wilderness, WV - Brad Yurish, Greg McCulley, Marty Lamp, Dennis Vass, Don Parks, Emory Rogers
2000- June 10-11 Team iPlayOutside.com's 24 Hour Adventure, Snowshoe Mountain, WV - Marty Lamp, Lew McGrath, Chas Mick, Brad Coffman
Marty Lamp, Team iPlayOutside
24 Hours of Snowshoe-2000
2000- October 5 The Real Beast of the East, Summersville, WV - Julie Black, Jason Black, Bill Bertsch, Joe Bertsch, and the The New Jersey National Guard Raft Crew
2000- December Keeping Up With Tradition, Albright, WV - Jason Black, Pete Daily
2000- February 16 Confessions of a Kayaker, Albright, WV - Jason and Julie Black, Jeff Busch, Jeff Simcoe, and others
1999- October My First Climb at Coopers Rock, Morgantown, WV - Julie Black, Marty Lamp, Greg McCulley, Megan 'Mack', Lisa 'Legs'