Share |

Saturday, June 23, 2001 -- Lonaconing, MD
13th Annual Iron Furnace 5K (iPO Event Id#: 3567)
Story and photos by Emory Rogers

[Details] [Coverage] [Overall Results] [Results by Class]
[Pic Set 1] [Pic Set 2] [Pic Set 3] [Pic Set 4]

Race Start
See you at the furnace...
Not even a steady pre-race downpour could dampen the spirits of the 177 entrants in the 13th Annual Iron Furnace 5k Run and 1.5k Walk. Young and old alike gladly donned their running shoes and were prepped and ready for the 8am start. Some of the braver souls even went shirtless in the 60 degree drizzle.

The start went off without a hitch, and the pack set off from George's Creek Elementary School and thundered down Route 36. Trailing behind them was a fine storm of shoe spray as they headed off toward the historic Iron Furnace (see photo). The point to point course ran along George's Creek, through the streets of Lonaconing, and finished at the the Iron Furnace on the north end of town. The mostly flat route, with a short hill at mile one and a half-mile slope at the 2-mile marker, was ideal for some fast times.

Runner Bret Mower of Aberdeen, MD, set a kickin' average pace of 5:20 and never looked back, finishing first overall with a time of 16:33. Second overall, and the first male masters, was Ed Frohnapfel of Morgantown, WV, with a time of 16:51.

Race Pic
Rain or shine, it's fun to play outside!
First place female Maria Spinnler (18:43) of Hagerstown was in a class by herself, finishing nearly a minute ahead of her closest competitor Maureen Hall (19:39) of Lavale. The fastest women's masters title went to Frostburg's Ann Rose who cruised in at 23:09.

Racers and spectators were treated to post-race celebration at the historic Iron Furnace. After a nice warm-down period complete with background music, awards were presented to each of the 22 classes of entrants, as well as random prize drawings. Race director Tom Dawson, while very busy with his post-race duties (see photo), able to express appreciation for the racer turnout on this rainy June morning. He also graciously thanked all the volunteer help and local sponsorship that made the event possible. He hopes to see all this year's entrants, and a few more, back for next year's race!