Morgantown Area Grand Prix 2001
Click below for
Series Recaps (all 10 races)
2001 FINAL Standings: [Men's] [Women's]
MAGP Series:         
Everyone's invited to the Awards Reception at 6:30PM on Thursday, December 13th. It will be held at Whitetail Cafe in Morgantown's Wharf District.
There are a lot of awards to be given out including the top 15 male and female finishers in the open division and the top 5 male and female finishers in the scholastic division. On top of that there will be commemorative awards for those who completed 8 or more of the 10 events. Regardless of where you finished, if you completed at least 6 series races you are eligible for a random drawing for one of two $250 gift certificates. Oh, and did we mention that if you attend you will recieve tickets for two complimentary beers (or soft drinks) at the WV Brew Pub following the reception?
For more information you can contact John May at (304) 599-0949 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll see you at the party!
Award winners who are unable to attend should arrange to pick up plaques & other articles - not items will be mailed. Participants need not be present to win a random prize drawing.
GRAND PRIX HISTORY
All of the member races of the Grand Prix benefit, directly or indirectly, a deserving community service organization. The purpose of this series is to promote increased participation in associated races and, as a result, heighten public awareness of and funding for the race-supported causes. This effort has met with tremendous success in the first three years of the Grand Prix's existence. Participation in the 7 events that were series races from 1998 through 2000 increased by 66% over that of the year before the series began. At an average of more than 500 additional participants per year, this translates into a contribution of approximately $16,000 over the three-year period for the recipient organizations. With the continued support of its sponsors, the Grand Prix will strive to improve upon this achievement in 2001.
- It's FREE!!!
- Participation in the 2001 Grand Prix is limited to runners only.
- You must complete a separate registration form to enter the Grand Prix. Entry forms will be available at the information table at any one of the first 6 series races. Once you enter, you are in for the year. Points will not be awarded retroactively for a race if you enter the series after the date of that race.
- Scheduled races & race dates are subject to change. Reasonable efforts will be made to notify series entrants if & when such changes occur. Grand Prix officials do not assume responsibility for date changes or cancellations of affiliate races.
- Your final score will be the total points for your best 5 races. There is no minimum number of series races in which you must enter to be included in the final standings.
- In the event of a tie score among the top finishers at the end of the series, the place of finish will be determined by the runner who has accumulated the most points for all races run (not just points for the top 5 races).
- NEW THIS YEAR - Guidelines issued by the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission limit the type of awards that students may accept to plaques, trophies, certificates, etc. To protect the status of student athletes, all entrants who are enrolled in grades 6 through 12 during the year will automatically be entered into the Scholastic Division and will be ineligible to receive any series competition award of monetary value.
- All entrants in the Open and Scholastic Divisions who have entered and completed a minimum of 6 Grand Prix 2001 races will be eligible to win 1 of 2 Whitetail Cycle & Fitness gift certificates valued at $250 apiece. Winners will be selected by a random drawing.
- Competition awards, recognition awards and random prizes will be presented at a reception hosted by the Whitetail Cafe in Morgantown's Wharf District in December.
- Individuals in the Open and Scholastic Divisions who complete 8 out of the 10 races will receive a commemorative award at the end of the year.
- The top 15 male and female finishers will receive championship awards at the end of the year.
- The top male & female winners will receive Whitetail Cycle & Fitness gift certificates valued at $225 apiece.
- The top 5 male and female finishers will receive championship awards at the end of the year.
- Finish Points = Your percentile place of finish. For example, if you win a race you would receive 100 points. If you finish in the middle of the pack, you would receive 50 points, etc. Percentiles will be rounded up to the nearest whole number for each race.
- Age Points = You will receive 1 point for each year your age (as of 1/1/01) is over or under age 28.
- Bonus Points = You will receive 3 points per race if you are a member of the Morgantown Roadrunners/West Virginia Track Club. You must become a club member before you will be awarded points for a race.
An Example A race has 150 finishers - Runner A is 28 years old, finishes in 11th place, and is not a WVTC member. Runner B is 53 years old, finishes in 53rd place and is a WVTC member. Points for this race are calculated as follows:
Morgantown Roadrunners, WV Track Club Membership Benefits:
- Club members automatically become members of the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) and receive the RRCA quarterly news magazine.
- Members receive Footnotes, the club's monthly newsletter.
- Members receive applications for all local races.
- Members may participate in group training runs and handicapped club races.
- Membership dues are reasonably priced: Individual - $12, Family - $15, Student - $9.
2001 SERIES SPONSORS
The mission of Recourse Incorporated is to provide quality vocational rehabilitation services to employers and their employees who have experienced vocation and industrial accident and disease events.
WHITETAIL CYCLE & FITNESS
West Virginia's largest specialty bike outfitters. Sales, rentals, tours and repair services. Also offering flat-water kayaks, canoes, roller blades, light hiking and running shoes, sporting apparel and accessories. Professional staff and direct access to Morgantown's new bike trails along Monongahela River and Decker's Creek. Specialty drinks and light-fare cafe on site. Three convenient locations in Morgantown. Call 304/291-2270, 1-877-WVA-BIKE, or visit us at: www.whitetailbikes.com
If you would like to join the club or if you have any questions or comments concerning the 2001 Grand Prix series please contact:
John May: (304) 599-0949 or May@geosrv.wvnet.edu
Morgantown Roadrunners/WV Track Club
P.O. Box 4159
Morgantown, WV 26504